I Will NEVER Do That Again!

The wonderful Dena over at Thoughts by Dena tagged me to post 10 things that I would never do again. I can honestly say, there is one that qualifies for all ten things.

While my kids were growing up in Miami, they attended a very small private school. The science lab had all sorts of different animals and during vacation periods, parents would take the animals home and care for them. The science teacher asked one day, "Any child that knows their parents would care for an animal over Christmas vacation, raise your hand." My son piped up excitedly, "My mom will...she loves animals!" Of course, there was a sign up sheet for which animal but when my son came home and excitedly told me he volunteered us to take care of an animal, he neglected to mention that one tiny fact!

On the last day of school before vacation, I went to the lab to pick up "our" animal. Upon entering, the room was empty except for two cages. The teacher approached and said how happy she was that we would be taking care of an animal. I was eying the cage with the tiny white mice thinking this was going to be a piece of cake. Mice are easy, right? The teacher reached into the cage next to the mice and pulled out a huge boa!

I almost fainted right then and there! This is a photo she took while "training" me how and what to do for this "animal" that obviously no one else signed up for. It didn't help that I was 7 months pregnant either! Not only did I get the snake to care for, but that little cage of white mice? Yep, that came with me, too..for food!!

There was a happy ending to the story if you want to call taking care of a boa happy. The snake decided this was prime time to molt so was very quiet, did not want out of the cage and the best part...did not want to eat so I didn't have to sacrifice any mice. At least it wasn't the tarantula!!

The moral of the story...make sure you get all the details...and tell your kids to keep their hands down!!

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

Comments

Alicia!! You are one brave woman and dedicated mother! I think if I were 7 months pregnant, I would have begged the teacher to find someone else and my son to understand. That seems like a bit above and beyond the call of good parenting. Phew . . .
TheChicGeek said…
So funny, Alicia! I think I would have run out of the room! You are very brave. The look on the face tells it all, doesn't it? LOL!

I had to take care of the goats when my kids were little, but lucky for me, they stayed at the school...we just had to walk over and feed them :D

The things we do for the love of children! These are the good years and best memories ever! Enjoy them! Now that mine are teenagers, I wish my biggest problem was feeding a goat! LOL

Have a Happy Day!
Judy said…
I can not believe you had to care for that snake! OMG, I would have run out of that science room!
Just last night someone asked my DH and I if we wanted to buy any snakes....eeeewwww,no thanks!
You're a better woman than me. Only if big bucks were involved would I agree to a snake in my house. much less to feed him live mice.

Eeeeeek,
~Julia
Delwyn said…
Did it smell Alicia...It must have had a big meal before it came home with you...

Happy days
Vicky said…
I am literally sitting here with my hands over my mouth in horror. I held a boa in 4th grade, trembling the whole time. I would be hard pressed to want to do that again. Its one thing to decide you will care for a snake, but to get one thrust upon you would be so shocking... I bet it was a great lesson for your kids, but I'm still shivering thinking about it.
Liss said…
Ahhh, and I though a guinea pig was difficult. You were one brave lady to look after this big monster for the summer.
Sandra said…
Kudos to you! I would have been the bad mom. Not so much about the snake itself, but there is no way I would have been able to feed it the mice. Wouldn't happen. How fortunate you didn't need to carry through on that.
briannelee said…
Hahahahahahaha, that sounds like something my brother would have signed my mom up for when we were little. You were def a good sport!
Stesha said…
OMG! I would have fainted on the spot! When I saw the picture I almost fainted. You are one brave woman.

Hugs and Mocha,
Stesha
How cool! I'm not afraid of reptiles, but am deathly afraid of creepy crawly bugs!
Good for you for being brave
Kelly Muys Wood said…
I have an entirely new respect for you, Alicia. This is sooo funny, and the photo is just PRICELESS.

Kelly
http://tearinguphouses.blogspot.com
Snap said…
Too funny! Kids will be kids.
yep...i remember this i believe! you can see the fright in your face;) too funny! xo
Elizabeth said…
This is a very funny story!
Glad it didn't decide to squeeze you.
We had the the pre-school guinea pig called Patches.
Our children had a plastic paddling pool in the back yard.
"Look, Mom! Patches 'wimming"
and it was, poor thing.
Luckily we dried it off and all was well...........
SoDear2MyHeart said…
Don't you just love it when your child "writes a check" your ass has to "cash?" I trained my child early on that I am MORBIDLY afraid of snakes...In our family, there are three things that are certain in this life...1. The sun is going to shine; 2. God will be good to you; and 3. Your mother/wife WILL murder you in your sleep if you EVER, EVER, I mean EVER do anything to her that involves a snake. Thankfully, Amy doesn't share my insane fear.

In 9th grade biology, I was assigned to a lab table directly next to an aquarium that was home to a Massasauga Rattlesnake. On the other side of me was the cutest boy in our class. Both absolutely terrified me. The snake spent part of every day striking the glass, just daring me to scoot over next to the cute boy (I think)...the cute boy, realizing my dilemma, would scoot as close to my side of the table as he could, sending me skittering in the direction of the snake. I believe it was that year that my parents first sought out professional counseling for me...lol

As I've often said, you are a far better woman than I am, Alicia Boyle!

Hugs!
Terri
drollgirl said…
ACK! horror factor eleven!!! and i am sure glad it had a happy ending! wow!
Missy said…
I love this! The photo is great!
Kathy B! said…
EEK! I have seriou snake issues. I would have died :)
that is the funniest thing to read!!

I can't believe they actually just handed you that monster snake..and sent poor pregnant mom on her with .. snake and snake dinner in hand..OMG!
Des said…
This is a great story.
OMG...I totally would of freaked out...I have a horrible fear of snakes..mice and spiders!!! SO my boys had better never raise their hands to say Id take care of anything of the sort!!! Bless you for being such a good sport about it!!! And thanks for playing along!
LENORENEVERMORE said…
Eeeeck...next to spiders & rats!
one brave lady!!!
wow...
kel said…
Oh my gosh.. I had a panic attack just looking at that picture!
Britwife said…
I just about died seeing that photo! That is too funny. I'd be so angry with my child if they EVER did that to me...snakes and fish are the two things that I am really afraid of. Ick. You are great!
Delena said…
Oh my lord, I could not have done what you did at all. I am absolutely terrified of snakes. The mice would be another "no never"
Relyn said…
No way. Not me. Not for anything. You are one brave woman.

Popular Posts