Boylerpf

10 August 2009

Old Dog...New Tricks..





We have always been Collie fans have had owned a dog for over 30 years. Our well loved pet died about a year and a half ago and we vowed that we would not get another dog...maybe time for travel and a little less responsibility. One of our horses needs to be on a weekly med so every week, we make the short trip to the vet to pick up a tube of bute (horse aspirin). The vet does boarding and for three weeks, we would see this little Sheltie bouncing around in the fenced yard.

On the third week, my DH walks over to pet the little girl while I go inside and purchase the meds. He walks in and asks the vet "When are they coming to pick up that dog? Pretty long vacation the owner must be having."
Vet: "Oh, she's up for adoption."
DH, without hesitation shouts, "DONE!"
Me, the ever pessimistic one: "Wait a minute here...you have no clue why she's up for adoption. There might be a good reason she's still here and we might not be able to deal with the problems."
DH, the ever optimist in situations: "She's cute, a small version of our buddy and we can teach her anything."

The vet just looked on with amusement at this repartee and finally pipes up that the dog is a cat killer...eats cats that get near her! She said the other thing is that she runs away..ALL the time. You can never let her out the door unless she has a lead on and by all means, you'd better have a fenced yard or you'll never see her again.

Jump forward to last winter which was incredibly cold. Enter Sam the stray cat who we just couldn't leave outside..we're suckers for all animals. The guy lived on our porch all winter but for darn sure, we couldn't let him in the house as we have a cat eater. This spring and summer, Sam the cat has been living in our backyard...right along with Hannah the cat eater and never the twain have fought. Hannah walks with us without a lead, stops at street corners, and listens to commands. Every morning, the cat and dog look forward to their walk together. Yep, the cat goes on walks with the dog!

You can teach an old dog new tricks. Now this old dog..every year seems to be adding up...needs to learn some new tricks, too. Seems we're never too old to learn!
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

26 comments:

NODtoMOD said...

you know i love both of them...esp hannah! i like it when sam bats at hannah and she pipes right back at him barking...they do love eachother! she can be a real bitch though;)

Snap said...

I love the story and pictures of Hannah and Sam. You are never too old to learn something new and put it to good use! YeeeeHawwww! In fact, wouldn't things be dull if we didn't learn something new, do something new -- often? !!!!! Happy Monday!

briannelee said...

Awwww, that is so cute! I am so happy that you adopted both and that they have become friends :)

Sarah said...

LOl Looks like you have a pair!!! Wonderful!! Maybe they just needed you and each other to be happy campers!! Wonderful post hon!! Hugs, Sarah

Judy said...

Oh I love your DH!! What a nice little story...two grateful animals that have agreed to get along for the sake of some loving!

LENORENEVERMORE said...

Such a sweet story! I'll pass this story to my mom, she'll enjoy this 'awww moments' as well.
Lovely week darling....

xo*

~Thought's By Dena~ said...

awww this is such a sweet post...so perfect for a Monday!!!!!!

I'm Julia said...

Alicia, perhaps she's so grateful to be loved & have a home with you that she'd do most anything to please. And too, sometimes an animal's lack of manageability is a result of an unhappy home life... her past humans' were likely to blame.

I blame all my doggies' bad habits on myself or my husband.

Moonshadow said...

I agree with Julia, Hannah's bad behavior was probably due to something in the previous home. My grandchildren have a cat that goes on walks with them all the time. :)

drollgirl said...

A CAT EATER?!?!? those words would have made me give up the thought of adopting that dog for sure!!! but you two are wiser than me, and look how well it worked out!! A M A Z I N G!!!! LOVE IT!!!

clairedulalune said...

That's a lovely story! I love that the cat comes on walks with you as well! My cat just looked through me much of time! He didn't like me much. I liked him though.............. kinda. Hope you are well! Thanks for the smile filled read!

The Cottage Cheese said...

Shelties are great dogs, I'm glad your pup was given a second chance and now has a special kitty friend. One wonders if the dog's problem behavior was in part somehow caused by the original owner's behavior. Anyone who watches The Dog Whisperer knows that we, as pet owners, have a huge and direct effect on our pets just by our mannerisms.

Sandra said...

Great photos & I love the story. I think you married a keeper!

Purple Daisy Jewelry said...

Other lessons we could learn - hot to get along with those who are different than we are. Or, sometimes we have more in common than we might think. Oh, and love knows no boundaries. I could probably think of more analogies... but which ever you choose it's a great story. Maybe the dog just needed a good mom and dad to be happy and stop sniping cats!

Lin said...

How wonderful that you've given both of these beautiful creatures a second chance! I think they somehow know it and are so thankful that they have changed their ways. They're both gorgeous! Congratulations!

beth said...

this is the best story ever !
stories like this warm my heart soooo much, as my best friend is a animal rescue person....

and hang onto that hubby of yours...what a sweetie !

Hit 40 said...

The dogs in my neighborhood where also afraid of my all white cat - Mr. Tinkles. The cat knew just where the electric fence stopped!! Drove the neighbors dogs nuts.

amy said...

so sweet. what a great story. love the pictures, too. animals bring So much to life. we have four dogs, and a cat! the dander and hair is endless, but the joy is, too.

Delena said...

I agree with everyone. What a wonderful story. My daughters two cats Boomer and Dusty walk with her golden retriever, Dixie as well. Right out of "Incredible Journey". Your post made me smile.

Jan's Place USA and Mt Forest Pictures said...

That was such a great story and post!

I understand what you mean about not getting another dog though.. so much easier to sneak out of town to travel now and again! I just get weak.. as we have 3 now!

Liss said...

May the vet told you worst case scenario so your be please with the dogs behavior.

I can see why your husband took, her she is cute. She doesn't really look like a cat eater.

Jessica / Lola Vintage Clothing said...

I've been seeing so many posts about dogs lately. Wish I had one of my own! Yours is adorable!

littlebyrd said...

This is so cute and sweet! I love it. I brought my cats to live with my husband and his German Shepard several years ago. One kitty never did adjust and then he got cancer and is no longer with us but our other kitty and the dog are BFF's now!

Bonnie, Original Art Studio said...

I wrote the most profound, sweet, funny, articulate comment yesterday on this post - but must have forgotten to push publish, or something as I don't see it here. Ah . . . you don't know what you missed. ;-)
Suffice to say your new dog and cat are adorable.

Diane said...

Follow the leader?!?!?!

Delwyn said...

Hi Alicia

that's a lovely looking dog and she is lucky to have been given a home...

Like you we have had dogs and cats for well over 30 years...but now are having that promised break...coinciding with the empty nest...ahhhh what peace...

Happy days