A Single Wave

A little wave was bobbing along in the ocean, having a grand old time. He's enjoying the wind and the fresh air--until he notices the other waves in front of him, crashing against the shore.

"My God, this is terrible," the wave says. "Look what's going to happen to me!"

Then along comes another wave. It sees the first wave, looking grim, and it says to him, "Why do you look so sad?"

The first wave says, "You don't understand! We're all going to crash! All of us waves are going to be nothing! Isn't this terrible?"

The second wave says, "No, YOU don't understand. You're not a wave, you're part of the ocean."

I know of no one that can stand watching an ocean wave and not be moved by the majesty created by the curling foam, the sound and the pure draw felt to the water. We're calmed by the gentle sound of lapping waves, the azur blue and the sensation of free floating in salt water not to mention the flora and fauna that draws people to scuba dive or snorkel in droves. The earth is comprised of 3/4 water and all inter-connected so it is no wonder that we are all connected in some way to the big picture. My favorite parable...individually, we can not stand alone, but collectively, we can make a difference.

Most are unaware, but today is World Oceans Day around the planet. CrazyCris over at Here and There and Everywhere is hosting an oceanic blog-a-thon for people to become more aware of the oceans that connect our planet. Join in and post your thoughts or memories on the beautiful ocean that connects us all in some way, shape or form.

So for today, I'm going to enjoy the the sound of the ocean...put a seashell to my ear as I am mid-continent...and revel in the thought that I am only one, but a large part of the bigger picture.

Comments

What a great post. Thank you for sharing. Have a great day..Kathi
Audrey said…
Love it! Thanks Alicia - I will pop over there right now!
Snap said…
Wonderful post. We used to live on Galveston Island. I must have lived there 6 months or more before I realized that the sound I heard at night that lulled me to sleep was the waves hitting the beach! I thought it was traffic! City girl, what did I know? !!!! Thirteen years that sound put me to sleep, calmed me, wonderful!
drollgirl said…
I sure as sh*t wish i was at the beach right now! it is such an amazing place to be.
TheChicGeek said…
So nice. I really enjoyed that post!
Happy Oceans Day!
Jazzy Jemz said…
Sounds so very relaxing to think about the ocean and remember just how simple things can be.
Sarah said…
Oh hon - beautiful amazing post!! I do love how you write girl. I love the whole concept!! Thank you for sharing hon!! Sarah
Nothing like the simple things like the water..or the breeze blowing...birds singing to relax a person!!! Great post!!!!
Holly said…
This was great!! And, I want to thank you for coming by my blog today for your visit. Even more happy that a spirit like yours could find something worthy of her time! I hope you'll come by and share your wisdom with us again.

Blessings on your day and your life!
wonderful post, i didn't know about world's ocean day. i love everything about water, it's strength, it beauty and it's sounds.
Hit 40 said…
Very fun post! I read on CNN today that the big fish are disappearing? Don't know how I can help? I try my best locally with recycling and such.
Alisa said…
Fantastic, Alicia! Thank you for sharing this!
Sandra said…
Lovely writing. And you are land-locked, which makes it even better.
Hello Lindello said…
Sweet post. I love the ocean. lake superior is almost one, so I consider myself lucky :)
Judy said…
I want to dig my feet into the warm sand and sit and listen to the ocean speak to me....
Rue said…
Hi Alicia :)

Every summer I miss the ocean terribly. Funny how I didn't notice it all that much after I lived by it for 5 years, but now that it's not around me I do. Lovely post.

BTW, you are gorgeous!

xo,
rue
Relyn said…
What a picture! What words! What a post! I love this!
That is an amazing post and very well said!
I have only been to the ocean once but I would love to live by it so I can be inspired by it everyday =]

Popular Posts