Friend Makin' Monday...Childhood Toys!

I love Friend Makin' Monday! You really get to know someone by the questions that are asked. So head on over to Amber's blog ae filkins and jot your name into the Mr Linky to read all about favorite childhood toys!

Now I need to preface my favorite toys. I grew up in a large family where you made due with what you had on hand. We didn't have many of the store bought variety kind of toys so here goes on some of my favorite things I played with growing up!

Mud! The best toy a kid could have and a mothers nightmare! We would steal buckets from the garage and go to a little grove of trees that was quite shady. Underneath the trees was the softest dirt you could ever find. We would make mud pies, have mud fights and make little forts. Cool stuff for a kid and talk about inexpensive...unless you were the one doing the laundry!

A hatchet. You read that one right. "OMG...your Mom let you play with a hatchet?" Old Daddy Ackert...roughly 80+ years...had a big garden in the field behind our house. Every morning, he would come to work the garden and my little brother...now 6'6"...and I would run out to bug the tar out of him trying to "help" with whatever he was doing. One day he arrived with two old unsharp hatchets (had to put that in just in case you thought he was teaching kids to be axe murders!)..that he told us we could play in the dirt with and showed us how to use them. For hours, we would play with these hatchets, digging to our hearts content. He was a pretty wise old guy if you ask me!

A good climbing tree. We had a small grove of trees in front of our house...nice and shady..remember the mud? Perfect for climbing and spending hours hanging upside down and building forts. I still miss a good climbing tree..not as if I could manage to get up to the top anymore!!

The local swimming pool. When the weather finally warmed up, swimming was the "toy" of the summer. The pool in our town was built during the Depression era...cement with tar filled in the cracks to hold the water. The place was packed during the summer with farm kids and town kids.

Garbage can lid. Yep...you read that one right! I grew up in ND where there is snow on the ground for most of the year. It seemed that way growing up. We didn't have sleds but made use of garbage can lids to slide down the hills. You got up some good speed with these!

Hope you enjoyed my toys and tomorrow, I'll fill you in on the weekend. Have a terrific Monday and go make some friends!

Comments

Xazmin said…
Very cool list. Love me some mud and climbing trees!

I hope you're having a wonderful Monday!
I guess kids don't make mud pies any more, I know my granddaughters didn't...those were the days!! My mama would have to clean me up before she'd let me in the house!
jenjen said…
Your list cracks me up. I had a hard time coming up with some toys because we spent almost all of our time outside growing up. I think my mom said here's some breakfast and see you at dinnertime. We had to make up our own fun. Your list is great!

xoxo
JEN
onegirliegirl said…
I love your list!! So true! Except, you forgot the "box". Ya know the box anything came in and you could make it into anything you wanted/needed to play with...LOL

xoxo ~Lisa
Sarah said…
Hee hee lovveee these. I spent years doing these things - wonderful fun. Although I had a pocket knife. We - the preschool do a mudder day every year in the summer - good hot day, nothing but water play and lots of mud, lunch outside and more mud!! I love the mud days! Sarah
NODtoMOD said…
these are very cool toys..if you can call them those! glad you didnt turn out to be a serial killer with the axes!;)
Vivienne said…
Mud, hatchets,trees, water and snow. All of those things can make for a lot of fun. Great list and pictures!
Alisa said…
Nature is seriously the best toy! Mud pies were good... I would make Texas Goulash out of mud and wild onions and dandelions... fun times!
Rhonda said…
Hi Alicia,
I loved your list. Who says you need to have toys to have fun?? What great memories. Oooh the hatchet...no way with my BOYS!

Have a great Monday!
JuneMoonToon said…
Oh, that was fun to read - thank you! And a big yes to mud pies and climbing trees.
One of my boys, who is eight today, loves to play with sticks, rocks, dirt and anything outdoors. He has that old spirit; I think it's pretty cool!
Becca said…
Definitely the most creative list- I grew up in a small town and the pool was the only place I was in the summer!

Have a super week!

~Becca
Carol Kennon said…
Loved your list! Brought back some great memories, especially the tree!
SoDear2MyHeart said…
Loved your list! We grew up in Michigan, which is essentially a large sand dune...Didn't live near the lake, so we took buckets of water (sorry horses!) and made our own sand castles...Mom would "lend" us some of her old aluminum jello molds & we made cakes decorated with moss...& you can't beat a refrigerator (or copier...my dad was a salesman) box to create castles and play houses...even old blankets over lawn furniture became forts! Wonderful memories...so glad you're my friend!
BIG Hug!
Ha, the hatchet part made me literally LOL! Brilliant post x
Heather said…
fabulous list! i love that you made so many of your toys! i bet you have wonderful memories from your childhood.

have a great week!
Jazzy Jemz said…
LMAO at the mud photo. Reading down I see a hatchet and I am no more good. I keep hearing the movie noise "ehr ehr ehr" of a hatchet and I am on the floor in tears. What a childhood toy ;)

Thanks for the laughs today.
drollgirl said…
love that mud shot!!! HILARIOUS!!!
Amber said…
Great list! It's the simple things in life, huh?
Judy said…
Talk about making due with what you had...my Dad had a truck load of manure delivered for our garden. Well, my two brothers made this their new play ground, boy did they stink!!
AndreaLeigh said…
on the rare occassions it would snow, i would love to take patio furniture cushions and slide down the huge hill at my aunt's house. so much fun!
Rue said…
Hi Alicia :)

I used to make mud pies and tell my brother (about 3 or 4 at the time) they were made of real chocolate and he ate them. I was so mean, but it's still funny LOL

Being a kid was great, but I would skip the teen years ;)

Oh and your haircut is perfect!

Have a great week!
rue
Britwife said…
I have to add that I played on a rock most summer days. It was really big and had "steps" up the side of it - so I preteneded that it was my house. We had a treehouse that we were always in (when I wasn't on the rock). I'm making myself sound like a total nerd now, aren't I?
Tanielle said…
Love it!!! I spent many hours playing in the mud, and attempting to climb trees!!!

Have a great night!
I'm Julia said…
Except for snow being a once in a while thing, you've pretty much nailed my childhood too, LOL!
Chrisy said…
Oh yes...I too had a childhood with very few material possessions and no toys...but mud...and trees...and swimming...definitely! No hatchets or snow tho!
ThePeachTree said…
Okay, this is about the best best over :)
Awesome childhood memories!

Good things that are pure and simple. Kids don't do things like that anymore.
Just Jules said…
come over to my humble little place and answer the question "I am..." today - or go one step further and enter the contest (see the details at the post) bring your friends with you ;)
Relyn said…
Am still laughing at that first picture. I've got to try this. Thanks for the entertaining post. I needed it today.
Lins said…
I'm pretty sure you and I had very similar childhoods!

I probably would've added "Pick-up Truck Hood" to the list...tie one end to the bumper of a tractor, sit on the hood, hold the other end and you've got one heck of a sled....snow not required. :)

Lins @ goodbyemartha.blogspot.com
I love reading your blog so much! Your posts make me feel so warm and fuzzy and happy, and your photographs are too much fun. Thanks too for always leaving such sweet comments on my blog. We do love so many of the same things...
You know, those are all very simple things, but when your younger they bring so much pleasure!
Who says you need the biggest and most expensive piece of junk to get the most out of playing? Give me a good forest and I'm off =]

Popular Posts