Shed Some Pounds Tax Post...

Recession in mind here, a recent Rueters News article had this to say:

"Our calls are up 280 percent," said Richard Boggs, founder and chief executive of Los Angeles-based Nationwide Tax Relief, a firm that helps delinquent taxpayers resolve tax issues.

"We've seen a huge rise in what we call the rookie delinquent taxpayer," he said. "They are incredibly scared, and they have no idea what's going to happen to them because, God bless them, they've never owed before." More of the self-employed, who are required to pay taxes each quarter, are likely to end up with back taxes.

The article goes on to read that the IRS has been given more flexibility in their collection actions. Take for instance this elderly lady in Austin, Texas in which her $3,000 debt to the IRS grew to around $60,000 in taxes and penalties over 16 years despite the fact that she paid off the initial debt within six months!

I fall into one the "self-employed" category as do most online sellers. Procrastination is the name of the game in our household when it comes to tax time. We always say we'll do it earlier each year but for some reason...it's a pill that we don't like to swallow especially with today's economic downturn. Several hours later, a gazillion questions and even more numbers...the taxes are done. I'm breathing a sigh of relief...yeah right....and have to say, it really is a great thing for a diet..where did that come from?...just think of how much those $$$ weigh and you can shed pounds in one sitting!!

So...what the heck does a piece of jewelry have to do with taxes? Today only...take 10% off anything in my shop. Yesiree...it's called "the tax man is coming" and I'm feeling svelte!!

Comments

littlebyrd said…
I know, I worry a lot about this too. I am happy yours are all done and you are feeling good :)
Mine are done, too. I love when something is over and done and off my plate for another year. Congrats!

Danielle
I hear you loud and clear. In Canada tax time is the butt of many jokes and stresses. But, the sooner it's done the better. (Doesn't make it any easier though!)

I imagine it's the same wherever in the world one works. xoxo
Frippery said…
Getting a bit scary out there. Soon there will be no incentive for success. We are heading to a tea party tomorrow in Cincinnati. Enough!
AntiqueAttic said…
hee hee...luckily I don't make enough to file taxes just yet...but when I do I know where to go...muhahahahaha
Karen said…
Good for you!
I'm going to be filing an extension, but probably not until tomorrow, lol!
Karen
Jazzy Jemz said…
Yay! A tax sale!

Ours were done in February before the hubby deployed so I wouldn't procrastinate.
Fresh Paper said…
we're freaking out about taxes at my house. that necklace is gorgeous though, happy thoughts!
I also say each year I will do them earlier but I don't. Beautiful necklace!
Taxes scare me...I'm just going to ignore them till they go away. That's allowed, right? x
Britwife said…
Yippee! I just finished printing the taxes out and I just have to mail them in the morning! I procrastinate too!
Good luck with your sale! Thanks for the compliment on my necklace and for voting :) I'm in the lead right now!
Hello Lindello said…
Hate taxes, but we managed to get ours done in time and are getting some money back even! yipee.
Me likes this little neck jewel!!!
jenjen said…
Hi! What a beautiful necklace! Thanks for coming over and saying hi!

XOXO
Jen
Sandra said…
We file an extension every year and the taxes don't get done until Oct.
Oh, how I wish I could buy something lovely from your shop, but the tax man came calling yesterday, and I'm feeling really broke right now. My shop sales have been super-slow the past week, which doesn't help the situation.
Haha. That's funny =]
Tax time can be very stressful for people-I know this because of how crazy my parents can get.
I did my taxes for the first time this year and found it to be oddly enjoyable(but that's only because it was so straightforward and easy).

Popular Posts